Friday, December 20, 2013

Pencil vs. Candy Cane - an EARfull of a story

Oh, our sweet Kate.  Never a dull moment with our little girl.  So Kate's ear has been occasionally bleeding for a little under a week.  I figured she scratched her ear and she kept aggravating the scab.  So a couple nights ago there was a little bit more blood than expected.  So I took a peek in her ear and couldn't see a whole lot.  Then our conversation went as follows:

Mom: Kate, did you put something in your ear?
Kate:  Guilty-face, non-verbal
Mom:  Kate, what did you put in your ear?
Kate:  It was a pencil.  It hurt, but now it doesn't hurt.  Oh, wait.  Maybe it was a candy cane?  Yeah, I think it was a candy cane.
Mom:  Really Kate?  Are you serious? A candy cane?
Kate:  Guilty-face, non-verbal.

So I put some drops in her ear that I had around the house, and figured that maybe she perforated her eardrum.  I called the doctor and we shared a laugh as I asked them to schedule an appointment for "possible candy cane in the ear."

And after a couple vigorous water irrigations by our favorite nurse Stephanie, the "foreign body" was in sight.  The doc came back in and  used a pair of tweezers and...  A plastic stick-on earring came out.

Mom:  Kate, what is that?
Kate:  Sage did it.

We shared a few good laughs with the staff and Kate enjoyed a popsicle as we walked out of the doctors office.

Never a dull moment in our family.  I had to share this memorable story.

No comments: